

I have to say that I have the greatest parents in the world.Forget yours, mine are the best. Today, they are celebrating their 42nd wedding anniversary. Met in high school, survived a long distance relationship without cell phones or the internet, married, and raised three hooligans.

When I was young, I thought my Dad was a cowboy (probably because I had not idea what a human resources department was!). He always drove a truck, wore boots, took care of our cattle and carried a pistol when we went fishing. Doesn't that make you a cowboy? He works hard and I find it hard for him to slow down. His idol is J.R. Ewing. In fact, if we went out to eat the night "Dallas" came on, we had to make sure we were home in time to watch it. DVR would have been lovely back then. He likes history and knowing where he came from. He reminds us often that we are Germans and that I am the 'fraulein' of the bunch. In fact, I am quite sure my son learned the term 'farm hand' and the phrase, "Where's the trouble, partner?" from watching "The Rifleman" with my Dad. He is quiet at times, but humorous and knowledgable when you get to know him. He never seems to get lost (my Mom might disagree with me) and seems like a human GPS. Unfortunatley he just passed that trait to only my sister. From him, I got my blue eyes, chicken legs, height and nose. We both majored in business and went to graduate school. Thank you Daddy for being there for me when I need you and being supportive of my decisions. I love watching you be PawPaw.

My mom is pretty much my bff. I KNEW what she did growing up because she taught at the same school I attended. My Mom is friendly to everyone. It iss funny because when we go shopping, someone always asks for opinion on how they look in something. We decided she must have an honest face. Apparently she's the one that straightened my wild father out..haha. She is very smart and gifted in the math department. She helped me pass all my math classes. She helped me realize that I could be a great teacher and encourages me daily on being a good educator and example to my students. I get my creativity from her. All paintings in her home are done by her, her mother, or grandmother. My Mom is musically inclined and I love hearing her play the piano. Thanks for helping me with piano and flute lessons even though I can't remember much of both right now. From her I also get my voice (people think we are each other on the phone), skin type, and my good teeth. Some people say I look like her but I don't see it. I think I'm just a good mix of both. My Mom is a hands on Mom. She helped me win 1st place each year in the science fair, let me experiment in her kitchen baking goodies on the weekends, and took (and takes!) me shopping. And even though my husband doesn't believe me, we can go shopping all day and not buy a thing.
Thank you Mom for always being there for me and supporting me. I love watching you be MiMi. 
If I type any more, I'll cry. So...Happy Anniversary!
No comments:
Post a Comment