Monday, November 1, 2010

On This Farm There Was a Rooster...

Grant's Halloween costume was already purchased when we found out that Children's Day Out was having 'Noah's Ark Day' and he had to dress as an animal. My wheels got to turning and I knew I couldn't spend too much and it had to be simple as well as cool and comfortable for him to play in. I asked him several times what he wanted to be and he answered rooster (or as he says, 'woosta' in toddler talk). So to accomodate those dimples of his, I went out to seek the best way to make this costume. I have minimal sewing skills that I learned from my grandmother and home ec in high school. I have sewing machine I got for Christmas last year that I've used to hem pants during softball season, but nothing major can be done by me. So with the help of the internet, my mom, and the October edition of Parent's magazine, I came up with this mix to make an adorable and functional custom.
I started with a bright yellow $3 t-shirt from Wal-Mart, a white toddler hat from Ebay, and white sweatpants from an internet store.

I got white and yellow felt and cut 'feathers' basically in the shape of a leaf.

I cut a rooster comb out of red felt, stuffed it with pillow stuffing and sewed it to the top of the hat.

I made chicken feet by using orange felt and pillow stuffing and sewing it on the front of the sweatpants.

I sewed the felt feathers along with white craft feathers to the front of the shirt, making sure to cover the blue shark. I sewed it all by hand so it could be easily warn again with the feathers off. Grant wasn't interested in trying it on when I was done for a picture, so I conned my unhappy husband into doing it!

It took a while to convince Grajt to put it all on (and I had to take some feathers off around his neck) but we got it on and he loved it!

He ran around his classroom screaming "cocka cocka doo!"

It was a hit and Grant was one happy customer!

No comments: